Growing up we use to LOVE having Gołąbki (a traditional polish dish made with boiled cabbage leaves wrapped around a ground meat mixture of onion, peppers, and rice with a tomato sauce on-top). They were always best the next day. Now that it is my turn to make them, I can't seem to have the time or patience to do all that work. I found this recipe from Skinnytaste.com Kalyn's stuffed cabbage casserole. I knew I just had to try it and it was awesome! No it isn't exactly the same, just like if you were to make Grandma Darga's pb&j with the same ingredients at home it still doesn't taste just like hers. But this was a very close second plus a lot healthier. This is a great meal to make into a freezer meal to have on hand. I bet this would be good with some leftover summer veggies from the garden.
Brown 1lb of ground beef (could use turkey or a combination) on medium heat in a 12inch skillet.
When almost completely brown, add a large onion, chopped, and 3 cloves of garlic, minced.
Cook until translucent.
Then add dried thyme, paprika, diced tomatoes with juices, tomato sauce and 1/4 cup water.
Simmer until thickend (about 15 min).
Add cooked rice and stir to combine.
In another large saute pan on medium heat, add 1 tblsp olive oil and cut up cabbage leaves. Cook until the cabbage has wilted and half way cooked (tender). Turning the leaves frequently and season with salt and pepper.
If adding cheese, take foil off and add 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese and bake additional 20 min or until cheese is melted.
Kalyn's Stuffed Cabbage Casserole
Recipe modified from Skinnytaste
Ingredients:1 1/2 tblsp Olive Oil, divided
1 lb Ground Beef, or Turkey, or combination or beef and pork
1 large Onion, diced
3 cloves Garlic, minced
1/2 tsp dried Thyme
1 tsp Paprika
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 large head of cabbage
1 can (14.5 oz) petite diced tomatoes with juice
1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
1/4 cup water
2 cups cooked rice (white or brown)
(Optional) 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1) Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9x13 casserole pan.
2) Heat a 12inch skillet on medium heat and add ground meat.
3) Once meat has started to cook,push meat over to one side and add 1/2 tblsp olive oil and cook onion and garlic until translucent. Then add seasonings,diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and water. Simmer until thickened. (15min)
4) While meat is browning, in a large skillet on medium heat, add cut up cabbage and cook until half way tender. Turn frequently and season with salt and pepper to taste.
5) Once the meat mixture has thickened add rice and stir until combined.
6) Layer casserole pan with half of the cabbage, then a layer of meat/rice, repeat. Cover with foil and bake for 40 min. (If adding cheese, after baking for 40 min, remove foil and add cheese, bake additional 20 min or until melted and slightly brown on top.
7) Serve warm.