Monday, July 11, 2011

Mostaccioli/ Mrs. Taylors Goulash



Let me start saying it was hard for me to make this dish.  First, I normally make it for a crowd. I've never made it for just the 4 of us.  My normal shopping consists of Sams club where I get the peppers, onions, meat, cheese, spaghetti sauce and sour cream in big portions so bare with me as I make this in smaller portions.


I got this recipe from my moms neighbor.  She calls it Goulash but its what I consider mostaccoili. I love her goulash and the mostaccioli at Billy’s Tip ‘n Inn. So, I combined the two.





Ingredients

1lb Ground Turkey or Beef
1lb Bulk Ground Italian Sausage
1 lb sour cream
1 jar spaghetti sauce
1 box of penne or ziti noodles
a few small baby carrots chopped (adds sweetness)
1 chopped onion
1 piece of celery chopped
1 pepper chopped- red or green
Mozzarella cheese ( I like the big bag of stuff at Sams)

Brown together the Turkey, Italian Sausage, peppers, carrots, celery and onions.  Drain the grease then add the Spaghetti sauce.  In a separate pot- boil the water and cook the noodles. Keep the noodles and meat SEPARATE!


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Layer in a 9x13 pan with some of the noodles, then meat sauce then a few dollops of sour cream all over. Repeat with the noodles, meat sauce and sour cream until you have used everything up.  Then top it with that delicious Mozzarella Cheese and Parmesan if you have it.  Cover with foil then bake for 45 min to 1 hour. At the end remove the foil and bake till the cheese gets a little "kissed" on the top from from the heat about 15min.

Enjoy! Serve with garlic bread and a salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment